Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Checking Myself For Abominations

A pleasant (almost) Fall morning on the high plains, but if you are eating breakfast or about to do so, stop! Yes, I'm going to be disgusting this morning. What is an abomination? We read the word in the Bible many times, especially in the books of the law, but what is it?

You and your friend are walking along the sidewalk on a hot, sunny day. In the street, you both notice the carcass of a large dog struck by a car. Blood has congealed on the hot asphalt, flies have gathered in swarms over the maggots crawling in the dead flesh, and it appears that other dogs have come by and defecated on their dead cousin. The smell is absolutely revolting. Your friend takes one look and dives headfirst into the carcass and rolls around in it, licking up everything he finds there. That, my friends, is an abomination.

A fire hose may be enough to clean up your friend, but you may never be free of that ill, revolted, disgust you feel each time you see the gross fellow. By his profane baptism, your friend has become abomination. What happened with Israel as Ezekiel watched what the Spirit showed to him was that God's people had turned everything upside down. What should have disgusted them in that same way we just felt, they now turned to as popular entertainment. God called out through His prophet for repentance. He felt that awful revolting disgust you just felt a moment ago (probably still feeling it a bit; I know I am.) His people were rolling in what His law declared abomination. We read God's word and we don't feel it enough.

This morning, I was checking myself for abominations when I realized that I didn't have a good sense of the word. What am I looking for? And there it is. What the Lord who loves me is revolted and disgusted by, must be my guide to what should revolt and disgust me. Those things my flesh lusts after, that the Lord has declared abomination, should bring my reborn spirit to a disgusted, fleeing/shunning, and of course, repenting attitude. Part of sanctification is an agreeing with the Lord more and more about everything. What disgusts Him, must be abomination to me too. Unfortunately, all of that is now considered mainstream and popular entertainment in this land. Discernment in what I watch, read, and hear is my prayer for this morning. Let me shun those abominations in the same disgust that You feel, Abba Father.

Sorry, you can try to go back to your breakfast now,

Bucky

No comments: