Thursday, September 15, 2016

I Don't Know What Jesus Would Do!

We don't typically memorize this verse:

Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” (John 14:5)

We even call the poor man 'doubting' at times. However, the question Thomas asked would be the one I would hope to have in that same circumstance. With the advantage of being given the answer (John 14:6) we can easily be a little hard on Thomas. However, that is hardly fair given that we would do no better and might even be too slow to ask the question we all need answered. I'm glad Thomas spoke up that time and put it out there that we do not know what Jesus would do.

Yes, that question all Christians are supposed to apply to every circumstance is one I can answer quite emphatically: I don't know what Jesus would do!

In all the recorded scripture, I cannot find one mistake that Jesus made. I make mistakes frequently; much too frequently for my taste. So, how can such a mistaken one ever hope to know what Jesus would do? I was born a fallen sinner of the line of Adam; He was born the Son of God by the virgin birth. Again, how could I hope to know what Jesus would do? No sin was found in Him; sin is found in me way too often. So, like Thomas, I ask the question: How can I know the way? And of course I get the same answer Thomas did. That answer we memorize and rejoice in: John 14:6.

We do not know the way, but He is the way. We may struggle over which is the truth in many a circumstance, but He is the truth. We fear the death we face, but He is the life. That verse we love to memorize is SUCH an answer to the question that needed asking for all of us. Praise Jesus that He brought Thomas along for just that reason. We need Him as our answer.

Have a beautiful day in the love of Christ Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: