Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Wherever I Am, in Christ I Am Victorious

The young person graduates from the small town high school and longs to see the bright lights and big city. Where does the graduate from the big city school go to? We have a bad perception that to live this life without winning six Academy Awards, a Super Bowl, and the Presidential King's Medal of Super Accomplishment is to have not lived at all. For the young person to go off to Hollywood and fail to become a superstar is seen as some sort of personal defeat. Paul said that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, why ain't I this mega, super, uh, thing that triumphs over all? Maybe we look at victory in the wrong way.

What is it to be victorious in Christ? Is it a location on the map? Does the big city shine brighter in Heaven's books? Will a list of accomplishments as long as a set of encyclopedias assure my salvation? (Some of you may not remember what an actual encyclopedia set looks like, so the reference may be lost on you.) In Christ we say, "Of course not!"

Our victories are stored in Heaven awaiting our arrival. Nothing of our triumph in Christ may show here for the masses to applaud. You may live in a city, I may live in a small town, but we are victorious in Christ. Actually, there is no 'may' about it, I do live in a small town. Wherever I am, in Christ I am victorious. A farm, a village, a hamlet (isn't that a little pig?), or the most populous of megalopolises (mega-whosis?) may be the place we call home, but Jesus is there. Alone in the wilderness or one among thousands at a big event, Jesus is there with me and you. Perhaps you or I cannot point to one accomplishment that the world considers worthy in this life, yet in Christ we win! At the end of this life there may be no award or honor that says we were even here, but we can point to Jesus and say, "I am victorious in Christ my Lord!"

Bucky

No comments: