Thursday, January 08, 2015

Scrambled This Morning

Scramble the eggs and not the man. Okay, that last is probably not going to become a famous quotation anytime soon. I feel fairly well scrambled this morning due to some computer work extending late into the evening yesterday. How do I write eloquently and theologically when my brain is humming little tunes not unlike television show themes of the Sixties? Did Matthew, John, or Paul have mornings like this? I'll bet they took the time for breakfast when the wits didn't seem to be in line. Babble, babble, scrambled babble. I write nothing coherent, therefore I am. Did Shakespeare use that one first? Maybe he did on a bad day back in the tight hose and poofy skirt era.

An interesting question this morning in light of a particular event in France yesterday. Freedom of speech brings with it responsibility for one's words, drawings, paintings, ceramic bowls etc. But, does that give someone the right to murder? Of course not! If my words insult you, do you then gain the right to punish me? Well, under the law of Moses, there does appear to be not only right but duty to punish blasphemers with death. Ohhh, does that mean...?

If I read one thing in the Bible that pertains to this issue, it must be what Jesus said about love, as in: loving my neighbor, doing good to those who hate me, or this one - doing unto others as I would have them do unto me. This love does not lead to murder, shooting, beheading, and the other things that some think must be done when their religion is insulted. Do we as Christians like it when Jesus or God is insulted in speech or art? Certainly not! But we are called to pray for those who do these things, to show them the love of Christ in our lives, not to harm or kill them.

May God's great love show in us this day,
Bucky

No comments: