Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Down That Terrible Tube!

Ah, mid-week, mid-month...uh, oops, no missed that last one by a bit, September passed the midpoint and I missed it. Mornings pass by and suddenly it's, "Aauggh! I'm going to be late!" Got that dreaded appointment next month...ach, no it's this month now! Years pass by and suddenly, it seems, Christmas time has come around again. Ah, the terrible thrill of getting older. Time becomes like that big whirlpool in the tub, sucking all the weeks, months, and years into its awful vortex. My biological clock isn't ticking down, it's slowing to a more comfortable pace. Unfortunately as that happens, the clock on the wall no longer crawls toward the end of class, it leaps forward hours or days at a jump. Calendar pages fall out like those missing hairs on the top of my head. Where did they go?!

Time, I think, becomes more slippery as we get older. In the big corp, I was told and told to account for every minute and hour. Now I'm doing good to remember what I did for half a day. A couple more decades of this life and I might well have trouble accounting for last week. If I live to be 150, I might look back upon this decade as a time when I grew older for ten years. Specifics would of course be a forgotten memory of times no longer known. The interviewer might ask in that august year of 2113, "In 2013, you turned 50. What happened in that next decade?" Me: "Uh, I got older." Time just isn't ours to keep for very long.

About 2,000 years ago, Jesus told his disciples to pray for the harvest for the fields were ready, workers were few and time was of the essence. Two thousand years ago, just enough time for the scoffers to really think that nothing is going to happen with all that rapture and apocalypse thing. How wrong they are to think that. As for me, I don't expect to make 100 years old, much less 150. I fully expect Jesus to call us to that big group homecoming well before that time. In place of time running down that terrible tube, we will be raised up to the wonderful heavenly reunion with our Lord.

Enjoy a quickly passing day in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: