Friday, February 21, 2014

No Magic, Just Me Lord!

Good Friday morning! The sun is shining and the weekend is near. Friday was the day when geeks gathered to share their geekiness by telling of the weekend plans. How many Star Trek episodes will you watch? Which version? Maybe a Dr. Who marathon this weekend, or perhaps all of the Star Wars movies in one weekend. Jargon, abbreviations, acronyms, and other arcane lore would fly with the average velocity of the old bull or fish stories. Running through all was the magic powers of technology. We didn't want to be here; we wanted to be there, at least in our imaginations. Comic books filled that niche at one time, probably still do. Fantasy books work the same for others. Middle Earth or Hogwarts, just bring on the magic powers. Paul spoiled everything.

Yes, the great apostle to the Gentiles told us that he had learned to be content here, in whatever circumstance, probably even with who he was in the present. No magical powers, no super technology, the poor fellow probably gave up on jumping over tall buildings and saving damsels in distress. Paul had his weakness to boast of and a 'thorn in the side' to keep him humble. He had learned to be content in Christ. I'm learning too.

The Lord accepted me just as I was then and just as I am now. If God wants bullets to bounce off me, then He will have to provide. If God wants claws to sprout from my hands or webs to shoot from my wrists or me to get angry and turn into a big green monster, then it is up to His power. The carnal flesh desires some imaginary, magical, technological, fantastical, advantage over my neighbors. Jesus just commanded me to love them. The carnal flesh desires some mythical, mystical, supernatural, power that will cure all my problems immediately. God tells me to trust in Him alone. The world desperately wants some imaginary power to come along so that they can turn away from God. We need salvation and there is only one way, truth, and life. And any who would be saved must come to the Father through Him. We don't need magic; we just need Jesus.

Have a great weekend in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: