Friday, April 20, 2012

Whose Schedule Are We On?

Good Friday evening! Time for some of us to head home for the weekend, others to stay late at work, and a fortunate few have been off for some time and may already be at a lake or campground or other fun place. Bowing to advice from workplace experts, many of us have at one time set goals with deadlines. It seemed like such a good idea at the time. All successful people make plans and God wants us to be successful servants to the kingdom and all that, right? The question might come up, whose schedule are we on? What if I set deadlines for things but the dates come and go without a successful resolution? Did I plan wrong, or, heaven help me... did I fail God? Am I not learning something here? Is it like those computer games where I cannot move forward to the next scene if I'm not holding a purple flower in my left hand and a Bible with a green cover in my right hand? Should I have prayed more back in February, worn better clothes to the church in March, or made that all-encompassing request for forgiveness for all the sins that I didn't know about? I know, you've never been bothered by thoughts like that. It's just me and I'm obviously 'round the bend as they say.

We can over think any situation in which we have time to ponder and wonder. Let us set the matter straight though. When I surrendered my life to God, the schedule became His to order as He wills. If I set some date that I think should be met, God only laughs or perhaps tells me to wait just a little longer. We see this even in heaven when the Tribulation martyrs ask God, when? God gives them a white robe and tells them to wait just a little longer until their number is fulfilled. The saints receive not only a robe, but an explanation. We will not always get anything but silence. And waiting on the Lord in silence can be among the most difficult of things to learn for us. Waiting without action on our part can be just about downright maddening. Tears of frustration may start in our eyes as we wait for God to act, while at the same time His only answer to our pleas is to wait, watch, and be at peace. The solution I have, or at least think I have, may not be the best for me. God sees all, I see only a little.

Faith tells me that God has it all worked out, no matter how the situation looks from my point of view. Faith says to wait and God will act in the perfect time. That time may not be in line with my schedule, but God is not worried by my scheduling. Speaking of scheduling: Can someone explain to me why kitty toilette must go on here at the desk during the devotional? We have all day and night for this, but I guess the Lord is teaching me something about forbearance and patience. Praise God, my training goes on. I am grateful that God cares enough to teach me the fruits of the Spirit!

Have a great weekend,
Bucky

No comments: