Saturday, April 14, 2012

When the Lord says, "I Will"

Good Saturday evening or afternoon, whenever you may get this. I prayed a prayer, and when the Lord said, "I will", I realized that the time had come to say my praise to God and walk away. No witnesses are needed that God said that He would do something. I don't need a notarized statement with signatures. I don't need to ask when or where or how much. But, I would like to share the happy event. Raised in this world, I tend to want further assurances, but what more could be added to God's own given word? If I say that I will do something, at least I recall this happening at work many times, people tend to want me to say it again. At least once I remember sounding like some sort of odd parrot as the boss asked over and over again for the same assurance.

Jesus said: "But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one." (Matt 5:37) Annnnd in case we needed to make sure of that, his brother James repeated the instruction many years later in his letter. (5:12) We are warned twice about this because we have a terrible tendency to add or demand more than this. "Yes, I will be there and I'll bring my brother, George, and two sets of whingerbangers." The next thing we know we are in trouble because George has other plans and he certainly has no idea what a whingerbanger is. Worse, we don't want to say 'No', so we say give our assurance while meaning that we have no intention of being there. By any other name this is called lying. Hence the warning that anything else is from the evil one.

I am reminded of a certain officer from back in the day, who told the platoon something like, "When I give an instruction, the next thing out of your lips had better be, 'Yes sir', or you will be insubordinate!" We don't always give God the respect he deserves. A little Old Testament reverence might go a long way for us these days. When God says, "I will," the next thing out of my lips had better be something close to "Praise God" or "Thank you, Lord," or I will be in trouble. Yes, God is merciful and longs to forgive, but we must always remember that He is God. We may come boldly before the throne through the grace of Christ Jesus, but we also come respectfully. We look at thunderheads building with more fear than we have of our God, yet which has the greater power. We do not have to tremble before our loving Father, but reverence and a hearty, 'Praise God!' is a good thing too.

Praise the Lord for His great blessings!
Bucky

No comments: