Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Faith in the Same Way

Good morning! Is your heart broken this morning? Do you feel that faith is nothing but the carrot at the end of a stick and you're the ass for following it? In the darkness of the storm when the waves threatened to swamp the boat, that is when Jesus walked across the water and spoke of little faith. As Peter walked across the water to the Lord, it was when he looked at the waves and felt the wind that Jesus had to save him and ask, "Why did you doubt?" We look at the verse and try to absorb it into our hearts, Hebrews eleventy-one: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." In the time of the storm we may find a wondering question in our hearts, perhaps even a doubting question. I could believe if just one or two of the things I hoped for came true. Well, that isn't quite the faith we are to have. As often happens, we quote the one verse many times, but don't always look past it. What does Hebrews 11: 2 have to say on the matter. "For by it the people of old received their commendation." Another version of the Bible uses, 'testimony' in place of commendation. When I read that this morning, I wondered instead what testimony God is raising up in me through this trial.

This is a different type of wondering; a change from a doubting question to a believing question. The storm is dark and the waves threaten to overwhelm, but God is producing in me a great testimony from a great storm. Even now Jesus sets off across the water to come to my rescue, but I must believe and hold on to my faith in Him. For our faith is not a blind wish for relief, but a firm hope in a risen Savior. Our prayer changes from a simple 'save me' to a more faithful, "Raise up a right testimony in me, Lord, by your good purpose in this trial." With that prayer, we believe that the trial will end. Peter was saved from his doubts by our Lord; the disciples came to the shore in the calm with their faith renewed. I too will come to the shore of a renewed and recharged faith with a good testimony to share. What that testimony will be is just out of my vision right now. But a few things I do know.

The testimony will speak of the grace of God. A grace that is not affected by circumstances because it is given by God. The testimony may speak of a salvation that Jesus died to gain, provision that God grants without condition, and the love of God that changes not in the storms of life. A Savior who has rescued me from the penalty of sin, will not fail to see me through this trial as well. To the disciples in the boat, the storm was the only thing that mattered at that time. When their savior came across the water, their fear was so great that they saw the Lord as a ghost, a dead spirit. In the dark of the night, my faith was in the same way as the terrified disciples in that boat. They were wrong then; I was wrong too. Jesus is not dead; His strength is in no way diminished by this little storm. How humbling to look out from my boat and see the Savior laugh gently at my fear, "Why are you doubting? I'm right here. Don't be afraid!"

To God be the glory,
Bucky

No comments: