Sunday, May 23, 2010

What We Do or Don't Think About - May 23, 2010

Good Sunday morning! A dozen things come easily to mind when I think about what I should think about. The person I should pray for; the organization I should remember in my giving; and even the friend I should go see now and then. All those things and needs that I don't remember when I should, or that I forget when I shouldn't. But what about those bogeymen that we do think about? The financial worry for next year; the anxiety about this or that, and perhaps you still have that bogeyman in your closet from childhood. We may find daydreams slipping in that contain subject matter we shouldn't dwell on. We might even manage to tempt ourselves by thinking thoughts that we shouldn't think. All this just means that we are lost on our own.

We need the Holy Spirit of God to tap us on the mental block almost daily. "Think this, not that!" Prayer and Bible study help us to think of the right things and avoid the mental temptations we suffer daily. Gratitude to God can change our attitude toward life. Praising God will lift our spirits away from the problems of today. Thinking of the needs of others will help us to love our neighbors; just as Jesus commanded us to do. We have many opportunities each day to think of the right things and put our faith into action. Praise God for the new day!

Bucky

No comments: