Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Trying to Dictate the Way - May 5, 2010

Good Wednesday morning! Let me take a moment to remind everyone of our annual National Day of Prayer that occurs tomorrow. In Sidney there is a gathering at the Shelter House in Legion Park, and your church will have a spot available for you, and of course, you can always pray at home. The most important point is to remember to take the time to pray tomorrow.

Have you ever tried to make the Bible say what you thought it should say? Sometimes I have found myself looking for a particular verse based on what I thought it said in place of what the Bible actually says. We all make mistakes from time to time, but there could be a deeper reason for this as well. Our sinful nature wants to have the mastery, even over God's word. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to remind us of what He said, not what we think he might have said.

A very few persons have the ability to read something once and be able to recall it perfectly every time from then on. I am not one of those. To memorize a Bible verse, I have to work at it. The problem is that sometimes I think my memory is better than it is. After spouting off a few times on what I thought the Bible said, I learned through humiliating experience to qualify my statements with "I think" or "I believe it says..." The better option is to grab the nearest Bible and actually look up the verse in question, or to use a concordance to find the verse. Sometimes that sin nature of ours likes to add in a slight twist to what I remember a verse says.

The working out of our salvation does not mean that we dictate the way based on what we think the Bible said, but that we read the Bible and learn about the Way, Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit, the Comforter, will remind us daily to read God's word and to apply what we learn to our lives. One way to start that is to humble ourselves and admit that our memory recall is not perfect, with the exception of those few who have that ability of course, and keep a Bible handy.

Go humbly to Christ in prayer, and have wonderful day!

Bucky

No comments: