Thursday, June 14, 2007

June 14, 2007

Good morning! Do you ever wonder why you didn't get something done on time? In a discussion with a counselor yesterday, it was mentioned how children who do not receive enough attention from their parents or siblings will "act up" or do something wrong to get the attention they crave. I wondered this morning whether I have been overworked to the point where things are slipping so badly that I am made to feel like a constant "screw-up" or if I am seeking attention in the wrong way as a child might. Now this is very forthcoming and may make you feel uncomfortable; perhaps you didn't expect a personal confession in this morning's devotion! I do not know the answer to the question yet, but I do know that I feel almost constantly like a failure at work. You may feel the same way. What is the cure for it? As we take our problems to the Lord in prayer, we come to realize that He is the answer for us. As Paul told the Philippians, "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I will say rejoice!" That was not idle advice, I believe that Paul felt like we do at times, depressed, anxious, powerful, loved by God, abandoned by those close to him, and many other often conflicting feelings. Paul did not want to take John Mark with him after he had left them on a prior journey. I don't think that was due to not liking the young man, but due to Paul wanting to avoid that terrible hurt that he felt at the first abandonment.

The question remains and here is what I do know. The busy time that to me seems like forever actually began around the middle of last year. It is not just me, the entire department has been swamped, and if any of them are not then that person or group truly has something to feel guilty about! With all that going on and priorities placed on some areas at the expense of others, I am probably wrong in assuming guilt by thinking that I want attention in the wrong way. Maybe that is part of it, maybe not, but I do know that everyone in my group has been very busy for, well, almost a year now. The end does not really seem to be in sight and I also suspect that all of us are self-medicating in some way or another to cope. So while I am feeling sorry for myself at times, it is then that the Holy Spirit will turn my attention to others. Is anyone in danger of alcoholism, drugs, or mental health problems? If I feel this much stress at work, I am sure that others do also, and how are they coping? I need to get ready for work now, but stand by for Dr. Rogers' devotional today, and note once again how it relates very closely to what is bothering me today.

God loves you, please don't forget that today.

Bucky

No comments: