Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Blessed Are You!

Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5:11-12

So, the last Beatitude doesn't look quite like the others because the 'are the's' suddenly change to 'you'. Whereas before one might duck down a bit and say, "Meek and pure? I'm not there yet! No need to persecute me." Suddenly we are looking straight down the barrel of reviling and persecuting when the Lord changes to the direct address pronoun, "You!" Gulp, me? Yes, you, rejoice and be exceedingly glad! But, persecution, reviling, false evil words about me, and more persecution like the prophets of old? I'm not sure I want to go there!

In this study of the Beatitudes, you and I can notice one thing about them: they describe quite well the life of Jesus. Mourning, meek, merciful, and the rest of 'em, He lived all of the blessed qualities seen in the Beatitudes. They are indeed a map to Him, and of Him. And, as we believe in Him, Christ Jesus will take us on this journey with Him. Do you not see your heart as pure yet? He will take care of that in His good time. Not sure you can complete the journey to persecution? He has been there and will get all of His sheep through it too!

Have a wonderful day in Christ our Lord!

Bucky

No comments: