Friday, September 08, 2023

A Map To Jesus

Blessed are the peacemakers,
​​For they shall be called sons of God.
  -- Matthew 5:9

So, this one does seem doable at the first as well. Become a diplomat and make peace between warring nations, or perhaps become a judge and settle disputes between the companies. Sorry, we don't get off so easily. Nope, go and make peace between Mr. and Mrs. Jones over there as they are going at it again for all the neighborhood to hear. After we have become proficient at that sort of peace, let us make peace between God and all the sinners of the world. Oh dear!

I haven't resolved any marital wars in my life, how could I ever make peace with God for all of us? And if I try to force peace on anyone am I not working against Jesus, who came not to bring peace but a sword (Matt 10:34)? This one is as frustratingly far from me as the Beatitude we looked at yesterday. But wait! Didn't Jesus give us His peace, and not as the world gives? (John 14:27) Surely then this set of blessings is not an accomplishment I can produce, but that map to Jesus I need. While I can do works that show my faith, who is really doing the good works here?

Jesus is, and He does!

Bucky

No comments: