Monday, July 31, 2023

Hope In God

When I remember these things,
I pour out my soul within me.
For I used to go with the multitude;
I went with them to the house of God,
With the voice of joy and praise,
With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.
  -- Psalm 42:4

This weekend I enjoyed an animated movie based on The Pilgrim's Progress. So, I had to search the NKJV for the word and only this one result was returned to me. However, Psalm 42 tells an interesting story of its own. One might fit the psalm into the Slough of Despond in Christian's story from the book. The story is told in the first person and this seeker after God is down, perhaps even depressed. The storyteller laments, "My tears have been my food day and night." Ouch! That is a down demeanor. While many of the 'down' psalms end on a high note, this one ends with a simple instruction: Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.

Yes, hoping in God is a great help for the countenance!

Bucky

No comments: