Wednesday, October 05, 2022

Discerning Love

And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment. Philippians 1:9

Would discerning love that Paul prays that we have mean a time could come when I don't give something to one who asks? If a well-known alcoholic asks to borrow some money in front of a liquor store, then yes, that might be a time to refuse through discerning love. You have likely noticed that 'well-known' fulfills the knowledge part of that prayer from Paul too. Enabling a bad habit or addiction is but one of many examples we could think of where the urge we feel might not be the most loving answer. But refusing is so hard! Yes, it can be that the harder way is the one to take. I have seen my brothers and sisters in Christ struggle in this many a time. I have caved in to the urge a few times and thought later that I didn't do the right thing. Learning by experience can be a hard way to take too. Yes, I once bought a thing for someone that I should not have done. 

Praise God that even when we dumbly set aside the discernment He gives, He teaches us still. 

Bucky

No comments: