Friday, July 27, 2018

I Do Not Know You

For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 1 Corinthians 1:21

Late in the evening I saw you. Yes, you! You know who you are. For everyone else, I must mention that your cape looked just spiffy, and those blue undies worn on the outside were quite the fashion statement. The two crooks you carried so easily to the waiting police van didn't stand a chance against such strength and speed. You are quite the superhero, almost comic book quality! I realized at once that I didn't know you quite so well as I had thought.

That may be a bit of Friday silliness, but it is also quite true that I do not know you. Your innermost thoughts are not available to me; those private parts are kept hidden from public view. If I cannot know my fellow humans so well, then how can I know God whose thoughts are higher than my own as the heavens are above the earth? And we know of course that without His revelation to us in His word and in the heavens and other places He chooses, I have no chance of knowing God. And yet, even in a foolish message such as this one, I can say, "We are saved in Him!"

Paul told the Corinthians that God was pleased to save us by belief: belief in His Son of course. We know in whom to believe also through His word and all that foolish preaching. The world may think the message foolish and by association the preacher just as far gone into foolishness, but we know through His wonderful word that this message is life to those who will believe in our Lord Jesus.

Have a great weekend in the love of God!

Bucky

No comments: