Monday, July 30, 2018

Cool Morning

I slept, but my heart was awake,
when I heard my lover knocking and calling:
“Open to me, my treasure, my darling,
my dove, my perfect one.
My head is drenched with dew,
my hair with the dampness of the night.” Song of Songs 5:2

July is ending much the same as it began with cool mornings. It seems that in Solomon's time folks got up early to court; we tend to look upon it more as an evening pastime. Much of our lives might be spent looking for that perfect mate, perhaps we are searching during the wrong time of the day?

I thought last night that if I were somehow to find this woman who is not quite perfect, as only God is perfect, then just short of perfection as she may well be, she certainly would not want to entertain the likes of me. My only hope in such a situation would be the old opposites attract thing.

My hope of perfection lies in Christ the Lord, for in my own strength I will quit, give up, put it off 'til tomorrow, slack off, goof off, or just find it too exhausting. Of course there is the view that as an imperfect, fallen man I will not even apply my meager and weak efforts in the right direction to begin with!

Imperfection can hardly perfect itself, and that is why those of us who are given the gift of understanding how fallen we have become will surrender daily to the Lord our God.

Have a grateful new Monday in Christ,

Bucky

No comments: