Monday, June 26, 2017

Not Quite Ready Yet

The nursing child shall play by the cobra’s hole,
​​And the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper’s den.
​​They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain,
​​For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD
​​As the waters cover the sea.  Isaiah 11:8-9

As I stood watching the sprinkler start up this morning, a bird landed next to me. Of course the bird flew off when I twitched in a manner similar to jumping out of my skin. I guess neither of us is quite ready for God's new heavens and new earth.

If I am not ready, how will I ever get ready?

Leaving the preparation up to me would be a mistake. My 'Ready for Heaven 2017' program would likely focus on a certain body shape, a daily schedule, goals for the year with review every three months to check progress, an amount set aside in the bank, or some other accomplishment that would make me worthy of God's Heaven in my own estimation. The fallen imperfect one reaching toward the stars to claim his imagined perfection. Probably not going to work; it seems rather 'me' centered.

Nope, to get ready for God's new heavens and new earth, we need Him to make us ready. We need to not go alone. And since I cannot make you ready any more than I can ready myself, we need a redeemer who can get all of us ready for that twinkling of an eye. To become full of the knowledge of the Lord, we can always start with that Redeemer, the One who came to save us all. I'm glad that God provided just the One we need to ready us for His new heavens and new earth; His name is Jesus, and He is coming for us quickly.

Amen, Come Lord Jesus!
Bucky

No comments: