Thursday, June 15, 2017

Moved Against Inertia

Then Jesus, moved with compassion, stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, “I am willing; be cleansed.” Mark 1:41

Today, you probably don't want to move, or you do want to move but there is some reason you cannot or will not. Moving takes much energy and it can be a major expense. Plus, every time I have moved or been moved, I find that my biggest problem comes with me. It seems that I cannot yet escape that person I refer to as 'me'. So, I did a search on 'moved' in the New King James Version of the Bible. From Genesis to Revelation I found the word.

The ark moved across the waters, Abraham moved, the Israelites moved, the mountains moved, a ruler was moved with rage, and in the end every mountain and island will be moved from their place. If inertia is a resistance to motion, then I am moved against inertia in spite of myself. Yes, in Peter, holy men were moved by the Spirit to speak. God has often been on the move to bring motion to His people throughout the scriptures. There is so much motion in the Bible that Daniel prophecies a time when people will rush to and fro. So what moves God?

Of course nothing can move the Almighty from His throne, but we get an important insight in the first chapter of Mark as seen in our verse for today. Compassion moved the Lord Jesus to healing action. That is of course how our Lord came to us in the first place. A flood wasn't a permanent solution, a chosen people couldn't stay in obedience to the Law, but moved by compassion for us, God sent His Son, the Lord Jesus, to save us from our sin.

Caught up in our pain, we scarcely understand the love which moves the Lord to action on our behalf.

Bucky

No comments: