Friday, June 16, 2017

Forgiven Much? Forgive Much!

Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. Matthew 18:22

A test has come to us in the form of a man. This one proclaims his faith in Christ, and yet uses that as a weapon to shake down others for benefits to himself. Recognizing the tactic makes one quite angry. What to do?

Prayer is always a good first step in any situation for us. Speaking with the Lord and listening for that quiet, small voice has helped me avoid many an angry word. The question that I have heard, and you might hear also is: 'How much has been forgiven in your life?' Has the Lord forgiven me 490 times? Way more than that! Have my sins been such as to make not only others angry, but the Lord as well? Certainly. So, the test sets us on a journey of 490 forgivings.

No, I'm quite sure the Lord was not instructing Peter, the one who asked the question, to count until he exceeded 490 times and then let his brother have it. There will always be those we meet in this life who are such a sinful irritation that they could reach a mere 490 times in an almost breathtakingly short time. I believe the seventy times seven times was so that we forgive until the love God would grow in us is fulfilled; a complete forgiveness such as God has done for us through His Son, Jesus. Our Lord only needed the one time to forgive us perfectly for all time, but we who are reborn in Christ need some repetition to reach that neighborly love. With some we might need a few more forgiveness reps than with others but that doesn't make it any less our loving duty to the Lord.

Was a brother or sister in Christ an especially difficult test for you? I would like to read your story, if you have the time to send it my way. (If it was me, I'm sorry! Please forgive me.)

Bucky

No comments: