Saturday, May 27, 2017

Things I Cannot Say

"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you."

Ow, I just tossed a corner of hot egg white on my thumb. I feel like making some of those little dog in pain sounds. But I didn't drop my plate, so it may not be a fatal burn.

This morning I looked at a photograph of a truck part, seeking to find my pesky leak, and said something along the lines of how that other bit there had to be the crankcase. Now, when it comes to the hidden part of a vehicle under the hood, I know better than to say 'gotta' or 'has to be' and things like that, but sometimes it sneaks out anyway. I'm not totally inept in an engine compartment, but I'm far from professional mechanic status. There are just things that go on in there that I cannot say.

I searched the Bible for a master list of things I cannot say, but I didn't find one. However, there is much in the way of guidance. You can easily recognize the one about not using the Lord's name without meaning to call on Him or refer to Him. Okay, you could recognize it before I mashed it all up. There is also the one where I cannot say a date for the Son's return; no good attempting that one because the Son Himself said that no man knows that date. Probably shouldn't say words that would ask God to condemn my vehicle to a dark and hot place either. Gratitude for having a truck is a better response, even if the thing does leak a bit where it shouldn't. A religious person could take care of all that though; no doubt the Pharisees were safe there, but Jesus came down on them pretty hard. So, what should I watch out for?

Speaking out of turn or out of school, or whatever is your favorite version of that action. Jesus had things to say to the disciples, which they would have recorded for us in the gospels, but they could not bear them. Have you ever had something buzzing around in your skull that you just wanted to speak out loud? Me too. The Son really was tempted in all ways like we are! In my case it is usually things that I should not say, but with our Lord it was things that He could not speak at that time. We know how tough it is to shut up when that thing is wanting out so badly; He just resisted those temptations successfully where we do not always manage so well. The good news for all of us was: the Spirit of truth was coming!

Although Jesus could not speak those important things at that time, He did not leave us out in the cold. Paul, John, Peter, Jude, James, and others extending even to this age received the words from the Spirit of truth to bring us all back to our Lord Jesus. Every sheep lost in this present darkness will be saved before the end. Great is His name!

Bucky

No comments: