Saturday, May 20, 2017

Right There With You

I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 1 Corinthians 2:3

Did you never hear the suggestion to apply for a college athletic scholarship? Did no scouts arrive to see you play football? When running onto the field could you almost hear the announcer struggling to find your number? Did you know very well the backside of other runners from those sprints in Phys Ed? Yes, I'm right there with you brother! I know what it was like to be among the last chosen for a team in PE. The only records I could set by my running speed were ones no one would want. Professional caliber was only used as a joke when speaking of my athletic prowess. I could call a race from the back of the pack, run down a fly ball if it stayed up long enough, and score a touchdown with a sufficient head start. Yes, we are the non-athletic and I'm right there with you. Sorry, no fame and fortune for me in the celebrity of athletic endeavor.

Paul knew what it was like to be right there with the Corinthian church in a bad position: weakness, fear and trembling. Paul couldn't step out like Josey Wales and mow down the bad guys. His little church didn't have a secret stash of arms and military ability to overthrow the opposition in a last minute charge to glory before the director yells 'Cut!' The world celebrates its athletes and actors, while somewhere a Christian goes down with a whimper.

Through it all, someone is right there with us. His name is Jesus, and He will never leave us nor forsake us. Weakness is me, but He is my strength and my shield. Great and glorious is His name on the Earth!

Bucky

No comments: