Saturday, May 13, 2017

Strength Spent: Collapse Imminent

It is God who arms me with strength,
​​And makes my way perfect. Psalm 18:32

As I grow olderly, I have noticed that the Lord does not put quite as much strength in my purse to spend as I had in my youth. This is nothing new: I join billions of people who have noticed this thing throughout our history since the fall of Adam and Eve. Middle age hurts more and lasts longer than youth it seems. I just removed the second of the root balls leftover from last year's bushwhacking, and, oh my, do I hurt in the hands. Unfortunately for you, I can still type for now.

We might tend toward a grumbly sort of thinking wherein after an expenditure of strength we gripe to the Lord that it hurts. However, as David points out in his psalm, we have God to thank for having the strength to do a task in the first place. Yes, we could be without the pain of exertion, but the price may be having no strength or ability to do the thing at all. The same goes for that righteousness and perfection that we must have to enter God's Heaven.

How did Peter, Paul, and those other saints who passed before us make it into Heaven? It wasn't through their accomplishments performed in their own strength or righteousness. Self-righteousness never saved anyone. Not one of the saints of old had the strength to save himself much less all of us too. We needed, and received, strength and righteousness in our Lord Jesus. It is Christ alone who perfects us for our entry into the court of the King of kings.

Amen. Tomorrow: Mother's Day!
Bucky

No comments: