Friday, April 26, 2013

Melodrama Won't Work With God

So, if we cannot come to God by padding our situation a bit, what should we come to Him with? Perhaps an honest need? If you happen to be surrounded by four grizzly bears arguing over which are the best parts of a human to eat, you might be more than justified in stating to God, "I'm doomed if you don't act right now, Lord!" However, most of our situations are not quite so immediately dooming as we might make them out to be in prayer. God sets the due time for His actions and we learn to wait with patience while having faith in His providence. While we are waiting, we often run into an age old question - Which way do I go from here?

I imagine that all of our brothers and sisters in Christ, perhaps especially pastors, have heard this question voiced or asked of them about as much as any. Which way do I go, Lord? I'm sure is often a prayer that goes up to God many times each day. Discerning the will of God in every decision we make is one of the more difficult skills to learn in our walk with Jesus. Why doesn't God simply give us marching orders in all these things? Because it didn't work, that's why!

A reading of the law and the instructions for temple worship in the Bible is an exhausting read through excruciating detail. God specified the priests garments, what stones went where, and many other exacting specifications. Yet, those same people with their exact marching orders strayed from God's will almost before the ink was dry on the ol' parchment. King David loved the Law, yet he could not keep it. The Word of the Lord is a light unto our paths, but sometimes that light doesn't seem to illuminate as much as we might like.

I don't have all the answers in this, I am looking for a few myself. However, we are promised guidance from the Lord. We may well not realize, even as we make a decision, the gentle hand of the Lord guiding us in all things. I think that as I arrive to see Jesus in Heaven, He will explain much to me of moments I thought that He left me alone to make a decision that seemed to have no correct path. I held up the light of the Word, and all ways appeared dark to me. Yet, I believe that Jesus will show me then how He gently guided me in this moment.

Grace and love from our Lord Jesus Christ to you on this blessed day,
Bucky

No comments: