Saturday, December 22, 2012

Why Can't I Do That?

We may ask that question of God, and we may receive an answer immediately. I had just such an experience last night. Watching an interview with some author's friends, the work habits of the author made me a bit envious. Why can't I write like that? I asked. The friends then went on to enumerate some of the other habits of the author and the result: he died of a heart attack at 50. Oh! There was my answer. It may very well be that God wants me in this for the long haul. We shouldn't look at other people as our example. God has a plan for me and a plan for you. We should not look at each other as our primary examples of how to live in Christ.

The author in this story also began writing when he was 12 and pretty much drove his brother and father nuts with late night typing. At that age, I destroyed a typewriter for fun but had no intention of using one as part of a career. The world contains more than enough people who claim responsibility for their own success. To us they may appear almost magically endowed with some ability. We don't see the years of practice behind the 'overnight' success story, but we do see the glory given to them and want some of that too. We are called to glorify God, and you and me may not get to be like that success story we see over there. Our glory may be the "Well done, my good and faithful servant." we get when we see Jesus our Lord in Heaven. And that, my dear friends, should be all the glory we desire!

Merry Christmas dear children of God,
Bucky

No comments: