Friday, December 14, 2012

Somebody's Watching Us!

News report this morning: A vulnerability in a Linux-based software for one television brand could allow a cracker to gain control of your smart television and monitor you through the cameras and microphone. Yep, looks like that old fear from back in the early sci-fi days has come home to roost. What an exciting thing to do - watch people sitting in their living room staring at you. I can only imagine how many hours of mindless staring a person could record before concluding, "Ya know, people really don't do much when the TV is on."

What else lands in the not-worth-doing category this morning? How about judging yourself? Nah, we never do that. Healthy self-examination is one thing, but what if you wallow in guilt and shame over your life or parts of it? Are you not acting as judge when Jesus commanded us to judge not? I have done it, and usurping Christ's place as judge is not the right thing to do. Mercy is given by faith in Christ, but then I tried on some of those self-imposed sanctions that big colleges like to give themselves. Living in grace does not seem to agree with me punishing, well, me. I don't seem to recall that provision before grace could be received. I suppose that accepting the forgiveness of Christ Jesus means that I no longer judge me or anyone else.

Merry Christmas to you on this Friday! Cards, gifts, parties, and the joy of the season is upon us. Christmas carols come to mind and are heard in many places. Bad jokes like, "Yule love this" may appear too, as it just did on my e-mail window. Merry Christmas to the person whose job it is to come up with nonsense like that!

Bucky

No comments: