Friday, September 16, 2011

My Bible - September 16, 2011

Good Friday morning! What are some good things about my Bible that I am thankful for today? My Bible does not need to reboot for no apparent reason. My Bible is not shut down by a power outage. While I have plenty of bibles throughout the home, I can never seem to get enough of God's Word. My Bible contains the words of life. My Bible has words of comfort for me. Though it was written in 66 parts starting at about 2,000 years ago and going back at least another 1,000 years, my Bible is complete and inspired by God. My Bible not only tells the truth, but tells the story of the Way, the Truth, and the Life. My Bible tells me of our history and how this world began. My Bible also tells me of times to come and how this world will end. My Bible tells me of people very much like me; who faced enormous difficulties and dreadful losses for Christ. My Bible also tells me of those to whom God gave great victories, and there is no reason to think that I cannot be much like those people too through faith and trust in my Lord.

Of course 'my' Bible is not really mine except that I have a copy or two of God's Word. The Bible becomes mine through study, prayer, meditation, and the work of the Holy Spirit. Having been born about 1900 years too late, I did not write any of the Bible, but I and my fellow believers get to write and live that next chapter called The Church. We call ourselves by many different names, speak many different languages, and even argue about many different points of doctrine. However, if we believe in Jesus Christ then we share one Lord, one God, one Holy Spirit, and one salvation. Every congregation includes those folks who believe in God's Word just as it is, and a few who want to tweak it a bit. Every congregation will have mostly the same opinion on how a worship service should be carried out and the spiritual state of those who didn't make it there that week. We as the Church have different opinions on what must be done to prove our faith in Christ. But God gave His Word to all who will listen as it is read to them; learn as he reads it; apply it to life as she studies it; and grow closer to God as we share it in His love.

The Bible: the Word of God, and a wonderful book to read too!

Bucky

No comments: