Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Irritable - September 27, 2011

Good Tuesday morning! It is now well past 0900 and I have a browser screen and access to my e-mail. How important e-mail has become to us! And how important is the device that delivers that e-mail? On most days I tend to take the device for granted, but on days such as today - it becomes an errant beast given to biting and scratching the hands that type on it. Fortunately, I don't have to love my personal computer, otherwise I couldn't exercise my irritability toward it. What if that computing machine were a person serving me?

Then the entire situation would be different. We are called to love one another. There is no exception for position relative to each other in life, only the command to love one another. We are also informed in Corinthians that love is not irritable. So if this machine were instead a person taking dictation for me, I could not get irritated at mistakes he might make without asking his forgiveness and forgiving him, and then asking forgiveness of God for disobeying His Word. How important then are the relationships we have with others? Very important - as important as our relationship with God is. Jesus gave us two commandments when asked by the religious leaders what the most important commandment was.

No doubt those religious experts were hoping that Jesus would pick one of the ten commandments so that they could have a big doctrinal beat down. However, the Son of God told us to love God with all of our heart, spirit, mind, and body. And equally as important - to love the other person as we love ourselves. Machines in this life will get us upset, to say the least, at times. People may upset us far worse than machines, but we are to stomp on those feelings that rise up and learn to love one another. Not feeling too loving toward someone today? I have a suspicion that you are handling it much better than you would have before giving your life to Jesus. We are far from perfected at this point in our journey to sanctification in Christ, but you may not realize how far you have come from what you were in the world.

God bless you this morning.

Bucky

No comments: