Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Looking For a Big Loss - August 3, 2011

Good Wednesday morning! Have you suffered big losses in this life? Many of us have, well, except for the big losses we want such as those extra pounds from last Christmas. Now the hard question: have you entertained an anxious daydream or two about big losses? Any of us may be tempted by those thoughts, the fiery darts from the devil, but we should get rid of them as quickly as possible. Stewing in anxiety is a good way to become discouraged and even depressed. Visions of big losses that seldom come to pass can make us want to hide our light under the covers and stay in bed. For every big loss that I have suffered, I have been tempted many thousands of times with those visions that have not happened. The big losses that have come arrived without warning, meaning that all those visions of doom and dread were for nothing anyway.

I heard a psychologist on the radio telling folks that these anxious visions we have are the mind's way of preparing us for disaster. That sounds like hogwash to me. Perhaps the fellow was trying to ensure future business for his profession, but diving into those visions has done me no good at all. And how could it? We already now that they don't happen! I can tell you that on the days I suffered great losses, my mind in no way prepared me for them. No sudden premonitions, no prophetic visions that stopped me in my tracks (obviously), just a day of going through my routine and getting to work on whatever I had on the schedule for that day; in other words, no anxious warnings or preparations. So that means I have conquered the anxious visions and always shove them away before they wreak havoc on my body and mind, right? No, I must say that I am still working on that in the guidance and comfort of the Spirit.

There is no specific time, although 0300 is certainly infamous in that regard, that I must watch out for. The visions can come at any time of the day or night. Sometimes I do strike back in the authority God has given me, halting the thought and remembering to put my mind on Jesus. Other times, I still indulge for a while, failing to listen to that voice of the Spirit telling me to trust in Jesus. Like many areas of this life in Christ, I don't always do it right, but I don't always do it wrong either. Losing my life of fear, worry, anxiety, and depression and giving all that to Jesus is a slow process. I know that my Lord wants all of it thrown down at the foot of the cross. One day, I know that I will suffer a big loss: Jesus will have taken all of my fear and worry and thrown it all away, never to be allowed back in. That big loss I look forward to!

Grant us a pure heart, dear Lord Jesus. Take away the fear and dread we feel in this life.

Bucky

No comments: