Thursday, October 01, 2009

Jesus' Celebrities - October 1, 2009

Good Thursday morning! Don't get blown away by the breeze today. Calling it a breeze might be a bit of a misnomer. The high wind warnings began early yesterday, but the wind didn't arrive until late last night. Do you suppose the delay was to allow me to complete my giving mission yesterday morning? I believe in the sovereign power of Jesus.

Many organizations and ministries depend upon our giving. Tough economic times for people in general can mean starving times for ministries whose only income arrives in the form of offerings and gifts. Perhaps you and I cannot give as much in tough times, but please don't forget to give. We don't give to get thank you's or to receive recognition and praise, but to store up treasure in Heaven. However, once in a while you and I may get the privilege of giving to a ministry or charity that is in such need that our gift is timed perfectly and received with joy... and we know who arranges for that! The reward of heartfelt gratitude and joy from the recipient should remind us of how we should feel toward God all the time.

By the way, for those of us right here in Western Nebraska, I found out that the food bank has been hit hard lately. If you can give food or money, now would be a good time to get on down there! The Salvation Army Thrift Store on 10th Ave is where to give donations.

I looked at a list of celebrity sightings today on a popular web site, but that only made me wonder about something. Who would be on a list of celebrities if we asked Jesus to publish His list? At times I tend to think that I wouldn't make the list. I haven't done enough or am not good enough, or some other disqualifying thing prevents me from being on the list. Whose list is it anyway? The problem with that kind of thinking is that you and I ain't making the list! Jesus' list of celebrities does include you and me because of what HE has done, not what you and I have or have not done. We wouldn't have time in this life to view a slide show of Jesus' favorite celebrities. Yes, for the most part that list would be quite different from those the world holds up as celebrated. If you and I are saved, born again in Christ, and beloved by Him, we are celebrities in His book.

Enjoy your celebrity in Christ today!

Bucky

No comments: