Saturday, October 03, 2009

A Learned Trust in God - October 3, 2009

Good Saturday morning, good and cold Saturday morning that is! The thermometer is telling me that it's 26° outside this morning. That's a bit cold for October 3rd, but not entirely out of the realm of experience around these parts. Praise the Lord for the first freeze; my allergies are grateful! It's 0430 and I've already fixed a breakfast of pancakes and read the newspaper. Yes, that is too early, but some days I just can't wait to get up and get writing. Trust seems to be the popular subject today. Perhaps, no perhaps about it, I have been guilty of not trusting enough in the past, but I very much want to learn a complete trust in God.

We sometimes think that at our moment of salvation we should be given complete faith and trust in God right then. However, at least in my case, complete trust is something that I must learn. The doubts and fears still creep up on me from time to time each and every day. Of course, there is an agent of this and it isn't my own insecurity that is responsible for all of this doubt. The enemy will try to trip us up from every conceivable and inconceivable angle. You may find a fear nagging at you that you never knew before. The recent economic upheaval probably caught some people by surprise who had never before been subject to fears of poverty or bankruptcy. All of us were reminded that trusting in the world's institutions and our own financial abilities is foolish. We need to learn this trust in God and then cling to it tightly. Look up trust in your Bible's index and seek out the verses telling us to trust in God and not be afraid; there are many.

The cat stopped in for a skritch. I was about to tell him that you were out there depending on me to get this written and sent out, but I realize that not many of you are even awake yet this morning. Insert a pause for a few minutes while I take care of the cat's need. :-)

Back once more! The cat has taken off already; his needs are simple and short-lived. We have a similar attitude about our fellowship with God. We come running to Him with an urgent need; He puts forth His power and solves the immediate need, and then we take off on our own until the next time a trial comes our way. God wants us to be close to Him at all times, to walk with Him and stay by Him. When we run off on our own like that, we become open to temptation and sin.

In my book related to this devotional, I'm calling one chapter "The Cat of a Thousand Examples" It seems that God has sent Capt. Kidd to provide many examples of our own spiritual behavior. The outline was started yesterday and I want to start going through three years of blog postings today as well. If you have the time, go out to http://bucky-dailydevotional.blogspot.com/ and pick out your favorites. The blog is just short of 1,000 posts, in fact that post should occur this month. :-)

Have a great Saturday in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: