Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Words of Comfort - September 1, 2009

Good Tuesday morning! At first I wanted to write on rebellion today, but that isn't very comforting in these difficult times. All of us are familiar with that subject as well, probably spending no small amount of time in wondering why we have such a problem with that in our lives. However, better news for us all. Last night I asked God for words of comfort and received an answer. That answer was Isaiah 41:9-12. If you could have been inside my head last night, you would realize just how perfectly this passage of scripture fits. Of course, God was inside my head last night and He knew exactly what was needed to quiet the storm.

"I have called you back from the ends of the earth so you can serve me. For I have chosen you and will not throw you away.

Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."

"See, all your angry enemies lie there, confused and ashamed. Anyone who opposes you will die.
You will look for them in vain. They will all be gone!" (Isaiah 41:9-12, NLT)

My enemies at the moment are not other men or women, but God can certainly "kill off" the problems and obstacles that we face. Enemies in the spirit realm? God can take care of those too. My enemies may simply be my own fears and weaknesses. God says they will die. Verses 9 and 10 are the most comforting to me. How great does it feel to have God let you know that first: you are called, and second: He will not toss you away? Wonderful indeed! Of course each of us could take verse 10 alone and put it over our desk at work or home. All of us together could not count how many believers throughout history have been encouraged and strengthened by God simply telling each of us: "Don't be afraid, for I am with you..."

Rest in the grace and comfort of God,

Bucky

No comments: