Thursday, September 24, 2009

Leave the Old Boat Behind! - September 24, 2009

Good Thursday morning! Houston! We have a problem! The contacts won't load on Google mail. I didn't think that I would ever need to memorize everyone's e-mail address, but it seems that I may have to work on that. The men's Bible study group started up last night and we had quite a few men there. Praise God! This year, 1 Peter is our book to concentrate on. Be prepared for lessons learned and insights gained to be passed on to you in the devotional. Sorry, but memorizing a bunch of e-mail addresses was not one of the lessons from last night. We did go over the incident in Peter's life where he had the courage to get out of the boat and walk on water. He did sink, but not in the manner that you and I would if we stepped out of a boat a few feet short of the dock.

You would have been proud of me last night. When introducing myself, I held back on mentioning my former employer and other comments that came to mind. Stepping out of the boat and walking to Jesus may involve leaving something behind. Relationships that God has decided to end - such as your employer telling you to hit the trail - might need to be left behind in that boat. Jesus may even have a new boat for you to sail, or He may simply say "Walk with me!" At times we may wish for a do-over, but Jesus would remind us that we are starting over in Him. Getting back into your old boat may not be part of God's plan for your life. People have occasionally asked me about going back to my former employer or job. However, I have noticed that God does not often send his children back. Jesus might tell us that if He wanted us there, He would not have brought us out in the first place. :-)

Peter only began to sink when he looked at the wind and waves instead of Jesus. In getting out of our old boats, we must do the same thing. Looking at our problems and conditions will cause us to despair and sink. Looking at our Lord and Savior will cause us to rise above the waves of world and personal problems... including all the notices from G-mail about connection problems and such. I'm staying out of that old boat, but some of the knowledge gained may help me to get this e-mail sent out this morning! :-) When leaving our old boat and moving on with Jesus, He will use the knowledge and experience we have from our old life. I have often thought that my IT knowledge is what He wants, but perhaps the whole point of all those years was not the technical knowledge, but the relationships and interaction with people. Sometimes we look out the wrong side of the boat...

Bucky

No comments: