Sunday, July 27, 2008

What am I Worth? - July 27, 2008

Good Sunday morning! The day looks to be quite hot with a bit of muggy thrown in for good measure. Today I wondered what my worth is based upon. Am I more worthy if I get promoted at work? If that were true getting laid off would make me worthless until I could find another job. Am I worth more due to giving to good causes? Again, if that were true then I am only saved by my ability to give, and if unable to give due to some financial hardship or disaster I would be worthless until I could give once more. Am I made worth more by the amount and variety of my possessions? No, we know very well from those who "lost everything" in floods and other disasters that material possessions can be gone overnight. The Olympics will soon begin, would winning a gold medal make me "golden"? Hardly, and neither would a multimillion dollar sports contract.

We know that our worth is based upon Jesus, the solid foundation of our faith. Our good works in Jesus are not subject to the tides of the economy or the changes of this world. We know our worth comes from Jesus, but sometimes we are tempted into forgetting that. We have a tendency to look at our finances, our love life, our family, job, friends, lack of fame, and many other very earthly things in order to judge our own worth. Today, let us remember and state aloud that our worth comes from Jesus. Remember that the Creator of all the universe loves you without reservation. Repeat it to yourself often, "God loves me!"

Praise God for His great love, hallelujah!

Bucky

No comments: