Friday, July 04, 2008

Joyous Independence Day! - 2008

Joyous Independence Day! Yes, my flag is out and I have been working on my yard... er, wait; what happened with that last one? Sometimes a cool morning is just too good to pass up, Independence Day or not. My yard is beginning to resemble a desert habitat, and so I thought now would be a good time to get the sprinklers going for the summer. My neighbors may think that a month ago was a good time to start, but look how much water they used! Last night I could not help but marvel at the differences in people around here. We had the high schoolers driving during the fireworks show, too cool to be seen staring at fireworks. We had the majority of folks, including me, outside watching from cars and camp chairs, and then we had the real zealots. The last group were those who not only watched the fireworks show, but set off many of their own during and after the show. Some of those fireworks zealots kept it up until 2330 or thereabouts. We had a great night for fireworks too; a cool breeze blowing the smoke away, cool enough for a jacket to keep the mosquitoes at bay, and clear skies for good viewing. Not a bad night, though the cats may not agree with my assessment. However, we have one more night of fireworks to go. Praise the Lord that I don't have to work tomorrow!

I came upon one of those inconsistencies in the Bible that the world so likes to point out. However, I am heartened by my reaction to it. As that little yapping voice gleefully pointed out the inconsistency, you know that little voice that would have us fall away from the Word, it came to me that there was no inconsistency for those who will believe. Even using a tool the world likes, logic, I could see that this apparent inconsistency was not there. God will make the world's wisdom foolish. We might say that God will show the worldly intellectuals to be wrong. However, we should never think that God cannot or will not meet those intellectuals on their own ground and show them the correct way, even though they may choose to not believe. Jesus did it to the Pharisees and Sadducees, Paul debated the Greek intellectuals, and Stephen explained things to the Jewish teachers of the Law. If a person believes in human intelligence, God will use that to shine a light into their lives. If God has given you intellectual gifts, use them for His glory!

Have a wonderful holiday weekend in Christ Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: