Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Free Gift? - July 2, 2008

Good morning, the wind is up and the temperature will soon be down. I am not much of a weatherman as you can tell from that last statement. Oh, well. There are more important things to write about. This morning I read an advertisement received in the mail proclaiming that I had won a free gift. I couldn't help but ask the cat that if the gift was truly free, why did I have to "win" it? Comparing that to the free gift of salvation, Paul reminds us in Philippians that we have not yet won the prize. We live in the joy of Christ, bought with His blood, and given to us freely by the grace of God. We do not have to win some imaginary contest to have the free gift of eternal life. Heaven will be our prize, but we do not receive that until the end of the race. The free gift we receive immediately, and there are no strings attached to our salvation. I suspect that if I were to call the toll-free number to receive my "free" gift, there would be a certain obligation to at least listen to their sales pitch. "At the end of this recording, we'll tell you how to get your free gift." or something to that effect. The world does make it easy to list the advantages of believing in Christ. However, to those who do not yet believe, the lies of the devil hide those same advantages from their eyes. There are no gimmicks in Jesus, believe it and receive it this very morning!

Have a wonderful day, and to those of you taking off early for Independence Day, have a great weekend!

Bucky

No comments: