Sunday, June 29, 2008

Work, work, work... June 29, 2008

Good Sunday afternoon! I think that I have actually gone a few hours without a phone call from work. On-call weeks can be tough, but this one may take the prize. We also enjoyed near record low temps last night, Kimball may have set a new record. Of course, this is the end of June so a new record low temp is not exactly the beginning of the next ice age. The low 40's is still something to write about at this time of the year. I thank all of those e-mailing to check on me, but nothing more serious than too much work for the past four mornings. I am glad to be needed, but the need has been a tad excessive the past few days. Yes, I am feeling the strain too! If work will let me get away with it, I think that a nap is in order for this afternoon.

Pastor Rogers made an interesting point today, "What would Jesus Do?" We see it on bumper stickers and t-shirts, but often we fail to ask ourselves that very question. The world has, of course, made many a knockoff of that question. I even have a button that asks "What would a Kid Do?" The funny thing is that some of the things that a kid would do agree with what Jesus would do. Trusting completely comes to mind, seeing the good in a stranger before condemning might be another thing that a kid or Jesus would do. However, kids can also be very rude if not taught a better way. Back to the point, WWJD? I think that too often I find myself thinking that Jesus would work himself into the ground; spreading the Good News day and night, laboring to exhaustion every day, placing pressure and stress upon his own performance far in excess of what God demanded, and hurting himself in many other ways. Actually that sounds more like what many of us do to ourselves. The Bible did not record Jesus on the way to chronic stress problems from overwork. There is no doubt that our Lord worked hard and sometimes worked late, but he certainly relaxed and ate well during his earthly life. Jesus and the disciples walked everywhere they went, so exercise programs were not necessary in their day. I suspect that if the Romans had a screening physical for every person arrested, they would have found Jesus to be in perfect health at his arrest. We know from the Bible record that Jesus' health was soon taken from him, but that was only because he allowed it to happen. The world had its day, one day we will have ours. In the meantime, get some rest, exercise, and eat well!

God bless and keep you this week!

Bucky

No comments: