Wednesday, November 02, 2022

Two Will Be

I tell you, in that night there will be two in one bed: the one will be taken and the other will be left. Two will be grinding together: the one will be taken and the other left. Two will be in the field: the one will be taken and the other left.” Luke 17:34-36

Back in the dim ages of time, or when I was a teenager growing up in that little church on Oak Street, this passage terrified me. The pastor made clear to me that on no account did I want to be left behind. The terror of those words stayed with me until other business such as work and school brought me back to the world of reports and textbooks and all the stuff that work entails. Years later, and all or almost grown up, the big hit in the literary world was, Left Behind, the debut novel of the long series of books. Yikes! Here we go again. A few more years pass by and now I study the word of the Lord in earnest and try to make sense and apply passages such as this one. Taken where? What do I do to prepare? And terror of terrors, what happens to that one of each pair left behind?

My discovery for today? The mens and the womens are not there. Nope, the Greek word used was duo, and it means two or the twain (KJV). So, the married couples are not off the hook, it could be a man and a woman in bed, or two men, two women, two children, and so on. The prevention measure of only going out to the field with someone of the opposite sex, not going to work. A man never getting caught grinding grain? Nope, won't stop the taking away. Each of the examples given are normal daily activities of the time. So, perhaps we need to be prepared in a different way... His way.

Be saved. Be ready. He comes!

Bucky

No comments: