Monday, November 29, 2021

Jacob's Last Meal

Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.” Genesis 27:3-4

The story of Jacob and Esau is so full of lessons that we could teach and preach on this for days. Lots of cooking and eating seems to be involved though, and swirling around in the stew are Esau's birthright and finally his paternal blessing, both of which he lost in the kitchen so to speak. One Esau esteemed too lightly for the sake of his hunger pains, and the other he was tricked out of by his mother and younger twin brother. The story is such a full one from the Bible that we find it easy to pass a judgment on any of the four main characters. Foolishness, falsehoods, fraternal fakery, favoritism, and God didn't step in to halt any of it? Do we judge God too? Paul reminds us in Romans that, no, that would not be a good idea. Paul even said that God had favored Jacob over Esau. Wow, who knew that so much drama would surround poor old Isaac's last meal.

Yes, I just looked up and saw that title too. Rejoice! That is a fruit off the tree of my fumble-headedness. No need to judge there, simply inspect the fruit and know that I am capable of mistakes like any other writer. And may I add, "Oopsie!"

Love to you in Christ Jesus,

Bucky

No comments: