Friday, October 30, 2020

Missing One?

Lift up your eyes on high,
And see who has created these things,
Who brings out their host by number;
He calls them all by name,
By the greatness of His might
And the strength of His power;
Not one is missing.  Isaiah 40:26

As a part of my continuing mental challenges, of which there are many, I was trying to reconcile a list memorized years ago with what I thought was its number, and I kept coming up one short. As it turns out, I am not missing a member of the group. I just cannot count and recite the list at the same time. I'm not entirely sure that is a comfort. 

In Isaiah the Lord offers to one and all a comfort - not one of us is missing or forgotten by the Lord! "Lift up your eyes on high," the Lord says through the prophet, "and see..." See what? See whom? And the invitation is to see the Creator, the Holy One of Israel, God our Lord. And the comfort, if any were needed beyond looking to our Lord, is to know in faith that not one of His created things is missing. Unlike His little sheep down here, the Lord can name and count His created things at the same time, for He calls them all by name. And when I see the Lord using names in the Word these days, I no longer think of the Lord God calling out things like horse, cat, or dog, or even man or woman, but names; names like you and I use to call and respect one another. 

And all God's people said, "Great is the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!" 

Bucky

No comments: