Monday, August 10, 2020

In the Dark

“Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops."  Matthew 10:27

The second weekend of August has just passed, and this is that time of the year when even the sleepiest among us notices that the daylight of the day is shrinking toward that darker time of December. I of course arise at 0400 and study the Bible diligently until 0530 or so. Um, hmm, and we are to believe this because of what? As the daylight of my years declines toward a certain December of this life, I have noticed that there are those days when the alarm must awaken me as I no longer anticipate it quite so well. There are also days like today when I start the coffee, sit down either at the computer or in front of my Bible, and snooze. The light may be on inside, but it is dark outside and these days are harder to wake up to at such an early hour. 

So, according to this verse, do I hear a voice speaking to me in the dark? No, that would be cause for some small adjustment to my level of alertness, like say 6" up from the seat of my chair. It is more difficult to snooze with all my remaining hairs standing on end, but that is not the gentle way of my Lord Jesus. I find that my Lord only tells me when I am alert and in prayer or Bible study with Him. I don't get to sleep in my chair and receive the Word at the same time. And so, apologies to my Lord Jesus, and a prayer for strength to sleep on time tonight and arise ready to hear His word in the morning. 

Awaken, the Light comes swiftly to us,

Bucky

No comments: