Saturday, April 18, 2020

Day Of Our Death

A good name is better than precious ointment,
And the day of death than the day of one's birth; Ecclesiastes 7:1

On the day we observed my mother's birth, the rumblings of this current crisis were mostly out there on the coast, California and Washington. China was still where most of the news was coming from and we saw overseas travel restrictions the next day. Out here it was still mostly a storm way out on the horizon or even over the horizon. My sister just celebrated her (39th!) birthday a few days ago, and my how things have changed. Masks, hand-washing, restrictions on everything, and a mad hoarding of TP rule the land right now. I haven't shaken a paw or a hand for weeks. My birthday is two weeks away and there is hope for an easing of many restrictions by then. Will it be so? Some states have already extended their restrictions past that day. 

And then there is this Solomon fellow who writes that I shouldn't be spending so much time on birthdays, but looking forward more to my day of death. How morbidly interesting. However, there is only one way, the way, for me to hate this life and rejoice in the day I pass from it to what comes after. He is the way the world refuses to see as it pursues an extension of this life with every resource. He is the way, the truth, and the life; let us all come to the Father through our Lord Jesus! Amen.

Bucky

No comments: