Wednesday, July 31, 2019

His Way: Abundant Pardon

​Let the wicked forsake his way,
​​And the unrighteous man his thoughts;
​​Let him return to the LORD,
​​And He will have mercy on him;
​​And to our God,
​​For He will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:7

I want to go to Heaven, forever. And I have a few ideas about what Heaven should be. Those sound like my way. And the first line of our verse for today addresses my way. Throughout the years of my life on this earth I have shown my way to be filled with, let's see, what's the word for it? Oh yes, it too is right there in that first line of the verse, wicked. Indeed from an early age I learned how to demand my way and care nothing for my neighbor's way. The closest neighbor of course being my mother and my method of demanding being the usual for a baby, something in the tone of 'waaah!'.

Our verse tells of forsaking my way, the way of selfishness and thinking that I have a knowledge of what is good and what is evil. Hmm, that reminds me of something too, an old story from the Bible. As soon as Adam took that forbidden fruit, he likely was stunned by the number and strength of unrighteous thoughts that assaulted his mind. And the call from that first day of sin was for us to return to the Lord. Adam tried to hide from the Lord, and then he tried to blame his wife. Men have performed poorly at saving themselves ever since that time.

Two lines in this verse speak of wicked and unrighteous men, one line is a meeting of the man and the Lord, and then comes mercy and abundant pardon. Note how we are to return to the LORD and to our God. Jesus is our Lord and the way to God the Father. My way will never save me, but His way, who by the way IS the Way, has saved us from the law of sin and death.

Praise God for His mercy and abundant pardon!

Bucky

No comments: