Friday, July 07, 2017

Tremble At My Name!

As fire burns brushwood,
As fire causes water to boil—
To make Your name known to Your adversaries,
That the nations may tremble at Your presence! Isaiah 64:2

Does your name cause your enemies to tremble? Have any nations trembled at your presence? I cannot say that it has happened for me. The flames of my anger doth not affrighteth the heathenish as my flesh would liketh. The flesh strives for power as much as it lusts after other things. But for most of us there just isn't a lot there to impress the nations. In the American Book of Who's Not, I and most everyone I know made the listings in all three categories: Who's Not ...powerful, rich, or famous.

The verse I grabbed today is of course a prayer from the prophet to God. Isaiah wanted the Lord to come down and make His presence felt among the enemies of Israel. Well, that's a different matter entirely. Great is the name of our Lord God, the Almighty One! Does it seem like it in this age?

We have come to an age when the name of God is profaned much more than it is glorified in the popular media. A show written by an atheist uses the name of the Lord as an expletive. Want to show the heroine is surprised or frightened? Start her line with the name of our Savior. We see it often, but that isn't the end of this story. One day, the Lord will come and as fire burns brushwood, the terror of His name will sweep across the land.

What a great day when our Lord returns honor and fear to His wonderful name,

Bucky

No comments: