Thursday, July 20, 2017

The Valuable Bits

To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul. Psalm 25:1

We talk a lot about the parts that will return to dust in the cold, cold ground. Okay, sorry, the ground lately has been anything but cold. Yesterday was one of the wettest and hottest days I've seen around here for a while. There I go again talking about the dusty bits. Has my soul been affected by the heat at all? That's a tough one, for I am created as God made me; I am not only a body, and neither am I only a soul in some fleshy container. God desires all of me to return to Him.

David, in the first verse of his 25th psalm offered up that part of him that is eternal right now. The soul does not return to dust, only the body. Am I moving into things that I can scarcely know? Yes, thank you for noticing!

Throughout my days I have learned of the world through the window of my senses. Anything spiritual was a lot hard to grasp, and much was ignored because of that. Upon my rebirth in Christ, the spiritual began to grab a hold of my attention. What is this soul he speaks of? How does he know he has one? These revelations can only come from the Lord. I cannot believe some guy from 3,000 years ago just because he wrote it down in a psalm. Yet, as an infant and growing new creation, something in me says, "Yes, your soul is valuable." Where will this soul go when the body returns to dust? How did it get here?

The soul of our Lord Jesus was so valuable to Him that He gave its keeping into the hands of the greatest and safest person He knew: His Father, God. Like Jesus and David, I too give my soul into the hands of my Father God. It is my most valuable bits, and there is none better for safekeeping than the Almighty.

Somehow in the resurrection He is going to bring it all back together, the soul and the dusty bits will become an incorruptible one. God's grace to you on this fine day!

Bucky

No comments: