Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The Wednesday Weekend

And because the harbor was not suitable to winter in, the majority advised to set sail from there also, if by any means they could reach Phoenix, a harbor of Crete opening toward the southwest and northwest, and winter there. Acts 27:12

If a body part should get injured, I'm one that is usually ready to end the pain well before recovery is complete. Two years, in my weak and wobbly opinion, is more than enough study for a four-year degree. One day's driving should be enough to get anywhere in the world I desire. And wouldn't it be great to start the weekend on a Wednesday? The lament of all fair weather sailors is that faith sure is tough when it is put to the test!

Many an upstanding Christian has fared well when the going is calm, the winds gentle and consistent in the direction he wants to go, and the boat well-provisioned for the journey. As God loves His sheep though, the journey of growing faith will not remain easy. Contrary winds will give way to the storm. Supplies will run low and the weakened spirit will call out to the Lord to bring the vessel into the peaceful harbor before the voyage is but half done. Yes, I have been a quitter and know the feeling well!

Many is the time I have come to the end of myself, wanted to quit, and been shepherded to the end of the journey by the Lord. Every voyage that grows faith will be too much for me to handle. If getting only halfway there was good enough, I would develop only faith in me and what I could do. The growth of faith in God requires me to develop a faith in what He can do, and often what He can do doesn't show plainly to my weak eyes until I am ready to quit and call it good enough.

The owner of the cargo on this vessel paid for it on the cross at Calvary, and getting it halfway home is not what He desires. The harbor to the left of the course that looks so inviting when the storm rages may be full of hidden mines or submerged reefs. The Master knows all and trusting Him to steer the ship to the right harbor, the destination where He awaits, grows faith in Him. The harbor where the quitter would go is just not suitable for the Master's precious cargo.

Great is His faithfulness in growing our faith!
Bucky

No comments: