Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Duty Is To Improve Myself? How Selfish!

I searched and searched in Romans 12 as I prepared for the lesson this morning, and I quite failed to find where my Christian duty according to Paul was to improve myself. For years I labored under the delusion that to please God was to improve myself to the point where I could be a better servant to the Almighty. At some point, the Spirit pointed out to me, rather comically it seemed, that the name Almighty kind of removed the need for any help from the likes of me. In other words, if God needs my help then He is not so mighty. What I found in Romans 12 was instead many words about relationship.

Two great commands Jesus gave us: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. And, equally as important, love your neighbor as yourself. Both commands are about relationship and Paul expands on that rather dramatically in Romans 12. Leadership, teaching, prophecy, lovingkindness, and hospitality are about relationship. The rule about doing unto others as you would have them do for you is also about relationship. All of those failures to make myself into a Christian superman went to the cross with Christ, because I can't make myself into what I think I should be much less what God would have me to be. All that I see in my duty in Romans 12 is about loving God and loving others as I love myself.

Now, what do I do with all that time I set aside to make myself into Super Christian ver 6.0?

Bucky

No comments: