Thursday, June 11, 2015

In the Morning, When I Rise...Early

The annual service of the breakfast cooking has arrived at an early hour. As 'early' was much on my mind today, for some reason or other, I ran a search on 'early' in the New King James version of the Bible and found 83 instances to work with. Back in the day they made note of early risings too, probably because like me they felt that an early rising merited some consideration, maybe. God is always up, I'm not sure that I can impress Him with an early rising. Job got up early for a rather interesting reason.

So it was, when the days of feasting had run their course, that Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did regularly. (Job 1:5)

Job got up early for his beloved children. The reason he uses is even more interesting: "It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts." What? I thought that the mental sins only came after Jesus said so in the New Testament. No, it seems that sin, by thought or deed, has not changed. Jesus simply reminded His followers of what Job already knew way back in ancient times: God knows all our sins, whether we keep them locked up behind our closed lips or actually commit them where they can be seen. Job loved so much that he offered an early sacrifice in case there was an unspoken sin. Jesus loved so much that He died for all sins: the ones we think and the ones we do.

Thank you, Lord, for the forgiving of our sinful thoughts! Amen.

Bucky

No comments: