Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Broken Strength

​“For by strength no man shall prevail.
​​The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken in pieces;
​​From heaven He will thunder against them.
​​The LORD will judge the ends of the earth." (1 Samuel 2:9b-10)

That first part of the quote strikes at the heart of my earthly desires. It is by strength that I want to prevail in my fantasy visions. Feeding those fantasies are any number of novels, movies, shows and comic books that encourage us in that direction. Who doesn't want to be a superman? Who wouldn't like some super power?

Of course in our comic book fantasies the hero does not become overwhelmed by pride and arrogance. He or she does not look down on the little folks but continues selflessly serving the undeserving ones. You and I would likely succumb to the pull of pride just like those in this world who gain a little more than their fellows upon the earth. Does the puffed up prideful person ever wonder whether he or she has become an adversary of the Lord?

We ought to be careful in this regard. When I attempt to prevail by my strength without that prayer and supplication which marks the Christian I may well be working against my God in an adversarial effort. Such efforts are doomed to judgment, and I certainly don't want God thundering against me!

Have a grateful day in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: